Mary: An Awakening of Terror

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Mary: An Awakening of Terror

Mary: An Awakening of Terror

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It's about taking up space, and the power each of us has to influence the world around us whether we see it or not. I was this close to making this one of my favorite books ever, however the last 100 pages just faded. And, though each chapter in Mary's journey is wild, riveting, and chaotic, this isn't one to read for the twists. Nadine is verbally abusive and mean, but then as soon as Mary is on her own, there's a transformation. I was really happy that Cassidy put a thorough content warning before the story began, because I was able to prepare myself a bit before digging in, but even with the content warning I still had moments where I just had to put the book down for a bit.

Edit; so here is my long review and I even wrote a longer one on my blog ( https://proteandepravity.There are so many fantastic problems brought up in this book and that's something I adore about horror. Fired from her job in New York, she moves back to her hometown, hoping to reconnect with her past and inner self. The final 10% of this book were pretty good, the other 90% was like a party that's not great but not quite bad enough to make me want to leave. Mary realizes this is the perfect time to escape New York after being fired from her job, but quickly notices that she has bigger issues at hand. or 5 star is that this book is too long and certain issues were drawn out to the point of feeling tedious.

This book has been on my TBR for months—c’mon, once you see this cover, it’s impossible to not be intrigued, right? As a playwright, Nat is known as "one of New York City's rising playwrights, with numerous productions and awards, critical acclaim, and a reputation for producing intelligent, bold, darkly comic plays with one foot in horror and the other in literary allusion" (Usher Nonsense). I won’t spoil anything, but there were three vivid moments where I was fairly put off by what I was reading on the page, and one in particular where I almost stopped reading altogether.Nat is also a member of the multimedia production company, Gideon Media, whose hit podcast STEAL THE STARS, was co-produced with Tor Labs (an imprint of Tor Books).

Along with the hot flashes and body aches, she can’t look in a mirror without passing out, and the voices in her head have been urging her to do unspeakable things. The premise had so much potential: what happened if Stephen King’s Carrie was a middle aged woman and had a chance to confront her bullies? I didn't lose interest but I did find myself wanting to read faster or skim unnecessary details a few times. I’m a little reluctant to give a concrete number as to the amount of ARCs I got at ALA Annual in June, as the number is staggering and a little out of control. Like many fans of horror (and really all kinds of genres), I am someone who has topics and themes that really work for her, and other topics and themes that really don’t.

Without giving spoilers, this novel has some elements that would be challenging to pull off for many narrators, and Susan Bennett reads it beautifully. Cassidy has a skilled storytelling voice capable of intense, graphic imagery and scary scenes as well as laugh-out-loud humor. I thought this was a novel about a woman who had suffered some trauma or breakdown in her life, now trying to cope with menopause and further emotional and physical upset. I think there was some interesting parts of it (the linkage between Greek mythology and all of that) but it gets buried in this book.

All this background will mix and build up into a progressively intense and hellish fever dream, resulting in a glorious climax in which Mary gains very unexpected allies and starts drawing strength and confidence in herself!It doesn't matter if you're into Stephen King, Octavia Butler, Jack Ketchum or Shirley Jackson, this is the place to share that love and discuss to your heart's content. She’s ignored at work, she’s single and has no prospects, and people tend treat her like she’s invisible. This book goes out to all those bad seeds who have gone beyond their bloom and entered the twilight of their murderous lives. The Author's Note at the beginning and the Afterword at the end pretty much say everything I was trying to *do* with this book--and the former also offers some spoiler-free content warnings if you'd like them.



  • Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop